Monday, December 15, 2014

Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

Have you ever worried about something? What job will I have in ten years? Where will I attend college? How am I going to pay my rent? When will I find that special someone? How am I supposed to deal with the loss of my parents?



These are all questions i've asked my entire life, and I'm pretty sure you have too. Worrying is a disease that plagues the mind. It eats away at our hope, our expectations, and our faith. But most importantly:

Us worrying makes God look bad!!!

(When I say us I mean Christians. Those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior AND have repented of their sins, constantly pursuing a love relationship with Him). 

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" (Matt. 6:25-27)

When we worry about the things of this world we doubt God. We belittle God's power and all that He's done. How could we ever doubt a God that is the author of creation? Scripture makes it perfectly clear that God is perfectly capable of taking care of all the things He's created.

"But what if I'm just concerned about my future? I have goals in life I need to plan ahead?!"

I understand this question completely. I just finished my 3rd semester at the University of North Texas (CAAAWWW) where I'm studying Music Performance, specifically classical music.



Since music is such a skill based field auditions are always necessary. Unfortunately good paying jobs within symphony orchestras are scarce due to musicians having tenure. This means they have their job until they die or decide to leave. For the musicians with the jobs tenure is great, but for the ones just coming out of college it isn't so great.

I listen to so many of my friends who aren't pursuing music degrees talk about internships they have lined up after college or about how many jobs are available in their particular field. And when I was asked what my plans were after college I used to just make up elaborate answers that sounded good. I was always worried about how I would provide for my family. Would I end up becoming a street musician begging for money on a corner? The truth is I had no idea what I wanted to do after school. To be completely honest I still kind of don't. However, as I started to pursue God more and actually try to have a relationship with Him my fears and worries started to go away. It wasn't that I did not care about my future, it just didn't become the number one thing on my mind. God became the number one thing on my mind. Pleasing Him became the number one thing on my mind. Understanding Him became the number one thing on my mind.

Jesus says that we must seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness and he'll take care of the rest. He doesn't say we have to find the kingdom of God we just have to earnestly search for it. 

But what does seeking the kingdom of God look like? 

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

 Prayer, supplication, and thanksgiving. 


These are the tools we need in order to actively seek out the kingdom and His righteousness. If we make sure that we are continuously in communion with God (remember prayer is a two way conversation He should be talking back) then we should be fine. His peace will cancel out any anxieties we may have. 

Doesn't that make you just smile? If we serve a God who's able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all we could ever ask then why fret?

God knows what you need!!! Let Him take care of it!



- Daniel 







No comments:

Post a Comment